Sunday, 31 July 2016

Let's talk sandwiches


So it's been a minute since I last posted anything. That's not to say that I didn't have anything to write, just that the panic monkey is on holiday and so I haven't had anything or anyone spurring me on. Actually, I tell a lie, the reason I haven't posted anything in a while is actually the subject of this week's blog.

This week we're talking sandwiches. Not ham and cheese, not peanut butter and jam. Not even Oreos (my personal favourite). Nope, we're talking about a 'commitment-passion-consistency' goody. Que? I can hear some of you asking. Stay with me people! you'll thank me when I'm done!

Anyone who knows me or listens to me for any length of time knows that I'm big on people discovering their passion. I can't imagine anything worse than having a passion and not being able to express it in some way. Some of us are fortunate enough to be working our passion as a 9-5 gig. Others are working it around their 9-5. The thing is though, that passion alone is not going to get you to where you want to be. It's a great 'filling' but we need the rest of the 'sandwich'

First up, 'commitment' aka, "let's get this party started". You know how when you first discover your passion, it's like all your Christmases have come at once? You are completely entranced by this fab new discovery and plan furiously what you're going to do with it. Until the time comes for you to actually do something. All of a sudden, the latest weird Facebook trend is far more interesting and requires your undivided attention! Yup, when it comes to actually committing to our dream, some of us have feet colder than Frosty the snowman. Seeing as I share this very same challenge, I've come up with something that I think can help us get over this particular hurdle. It's called "tomorrow is the new Monday". I like things nice and orderly, so I often say to myself, "I'll start on Monday" or "I'll do it tomorrow". The problem is that often, tomorrow never comes! I've decided that from now on, no matter what the next day is, it's going to be Monday, so I can get started on doing something, anything, that's going to move me forward.  Whatever your excuse is, find a way to shut it down as quickly as possible, by taking some action, as quickly as possible.

The other bit of the sandwich is 'consistency' aka, "the struggle is real".  So, you've got the passion and you've rustled up some commitment. How do you keep going through the bad times, the worst times and the "I really want to give up now" times?  The answer my friends is consistency. I looked up the meaning of consistency and it can be defined as "continuing to happen or develop in the same way". The truth is the struggle is very real.  Some days it's all I can do to get out of my lovely warm bed, never mind driving a vision forward. On those days, my advice is just find something, anything, no matter how small that will keep the vision ticking over. It's much easier to keep going with something that is still going, rather than having to start all over again.

And there you have it, my recipe for the perfect passion sandwich, to help you get started and keep going on your journey to your best you. If you have any other tips about how to keep it moving, let me know in the comments section so we can keep this conversation going.


Until next time, go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop by. Your comments are appreciated.